Sunday, September 21, 2008

General WIP Update

I haven't blogged in quite some time. Unfortunately, I have no finished projects to show right now. I have worked a bit more on the Candy Apple Shrug. I have been putting most of my efforts into the baby blanket I'm making for my friend JoAnn and, because she could possibly come to this blog, I am not going to post any pictures of my progress. I am estimating that I will need about 16 blocks and I have finished about 6 and a half. I may end up making more than 16 blocks depending on how wide I make the border. We'll see. But I think it is turning out nicely.

JoAnn has also requested a pair of baby booties that look like little combat boots. I was excited to make these for her because I have never made booties before and needed a break from the blanket anyway. So I searched the internet for a baby bootie pattern that could be made to look like combat boots. I found one and got started with some black Lion Brand Suede yarn. Let me tell you - I hate this yarn. When you work something up with it, it is absolutely beautiful. But it sheds a little while you're working and if you need to frog something - forget it. There is no way you are frogging this yarn. And don't pull too hard because that beautiful fluffy soft suede-ish stuff is held together by the thinnest piece of string possible.

Now the first baby combat boot worked up just fine. But somewhere on the second boot I must have skipped a row or something and it ended up just a little bigger on the top than the first. No problem, they are small. I'll just whip up another one. So I started another boot but I ran out of yarn. No problem, I'll just frog the funky one. No. Not happening. This yarn is unfroggable. So I am debating now whether to buy another skein and finish the pair or to just start over with another yarn. The one boot I have is really adorable so I think I will buy another skein. I will probably make another pair or two with different yarns and see what I like best, since they only take a few minutes to make.

Luckily, I got my check yesterday! So Monday I will cash it and head to the store to pick up a few crafty items I need. I have been wanting to make a rug so I will probably be picking up a huge hook. The largest hook I have right now is an N. The pattern I am looking at calls for a Q! I've also asked my grandmother to pick up some sheets for me when she goes to the thrift store next time. I'm going to tear them into strips and crochet them into a rug. That should be fun.

Also on the list for the somewhat near future is another pair of gauntlets or fingerless gloves. Haven't quite narrowed it down to a pattern yet. And very soon I will need to start a request from my friend Phillip who wants a black and green voodoo doll. I have the yarn but I'm not sure yet how I want to divide the colors up. I have some great green yarn I got on clearance last time I was out. I'll also need to be starting some more Christmas gifts before I run out of time. And I have been craving to make a shawl for myself. We'll see what actually gets finished out of all this! Especially since I got Spore last week!

Oh and just so you know, I have been working toward making a nicer looking layout for this blog. I'm working on graphics at the moment. But it will probably take some time. You know, (almost) two year old and all. Haha!

No comments: