Thursday, October 30, 2008

Rag Rug

A couple of weeks ago I asked my grandmother to keep an eye out for old sheets she didn't want anymore. I've never done any crocheting with other materials such as cloth or plastic bags, etc. and I thought a rag rug would be the perfect addition to my dad's RV. Last Saturday my grandmother delivered the goods (three sheets she no longer needed) and tonight I set about cutting one of them into one inch strips and winding it into a ball.

The cutting went much faster than I expected but I still only managed to get two-thirds of it cut before my neck and back needed a break. Now I have to get my hands on a "Q" hook, find the pattern I saw that inspired me in the first place, and finish cutting up my sheet. I'm hoping I can have it ready for our next camping trip which will be some time in November.



I've also got four spools of streamer ribbon I've been dying to try out but I have no idea what to make with something that will end up being so stiff. If you have any suggestions please leave me a comment.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see what becomes of the sheet. Do you have a rotary cutter ? May make cutting easier for you. http://www.purlbee.com/rotary-cutter-tutorial/
Here is a site that explains Enjoy your blog
Jana

Jain said...

No, I don't have a rotary cutter but it's on my list of things to get. I don't have a lot of sewing supplies but as I start to do more sewing I'm getting more and more stuff. Thanks for the link! I love Purl Bee!

smedway said...

I saw a pattern in a crochet book for a foot stool/cushion done with ribbon solids and then stuffed. I do not remember the book, i did not buy it. But... it was done in triangular shaped pieces the length of the pillow (round pillow btw) almost like wine bottles alternating one neck up and one neck down. It looked really neat in the book and 1. needs to be stiff 2. who cares what it feels like to the touch if it is for your legs and feet...