Saturday, January 3, 2009

And The Rush Abates

Whew! The holidays are over and everything went well. Everyone enjoyed the gifts I made and I managed to finish all but one - the gift for my boyfriend's dad. This is not a crochet project, it's cross stitch so it's taking a long time. I won't go into detail about it yet because I have plans to make a tutorial on it, assuming it turns out well. I also have two handbags to finish. One has been crocheted and only lacks a lining and a little flower. The other was just started last night but shouldn't take long to complete. So I'll get a little more practice with linings here in the next day or so. Wish me luck on that.

Once I finish these three items, I will be free to crochet whatever I want and it feels great! There are so many things on my to do list - patterns I've had my eye on forever and yarns I don't know what to do with. It will feel so good to pick out and make something without the pressure of a deadline or the looming expectations of the recipient. I've been searching for the perfect project with which to celebrate my temporary freedom but I haven't settled on anything yet. I joined the Stashbusting CAL 2009 on Crochetville, it looks like a lot of fun.

I've got a decent amount done on my scrap ripple afghan. I'll probably post an update on it next week. I'm also excited to get back to work on my MC Frontalot amigurumi once the handbags are complete. I ordered Front's new cd yesterday along with a t-shirt so that I can spread the joy of nerdcore wherever I go. Now that I've missed sending him the doll for Christmas I figure I may as well take my sweet time with finishing it. After all, the thing that makes an amigurumi stand out is detail detail detail! I've got tons of ideas for him and the fun part is: they're all tiny! So they should be quick to work up and that is ever so satisfying (and helpful in the Stashbusting CAL too). The only problem I can forsee at the moment is how to make his glasses. I was going to spray paint some Mr. Potatohead glasses black but they were just a tad too small. Too bad, they would have been perfect. But I'll keep my eyes open for something.

So with the start of the new year my hook is basically liberated until March when I have two birthdays to crochet for. I'm off to browse patterns and find something to work on!

No comments: