Sunday, February 1, 2009

Valentine's Day Shawls

About a week ago it dawned on me that Valentine's Day was right around the corner. I had seven skeins of Paton's Brilliant in Radiant Red and, although I had been saving it to make a Short 'N Sweet from the Stitch 'N Bitch book, I just couldn't deny that this is the most perfectly Valentiney yarn in my stash if not in the world! And having just aquired the ever so awesome book Amazing Crochet Lace by Doris Chan, I had a couple of patterns burning a hole in my pocket so to speak.

So I started to work on the Blue Curacao Shawl and finished it in one day! The pattern was fun and easy to follow as all Doris Chan patterns are to me. I see a lot of people commenting that her patterns are difficult but I rarely have a problem with them. (I would have said "never" instead of "rarely" except for one little thing which you will read about next) I really wish I'd made this a little bigger though. I guess my tension is a little tighter than most because I always end up with a little bit smaller finished product. I wish I had added another row or two of pineapples but I wasn't sure how much bigger it would get when blocked. Not enough, really. But it is big enough to go over my shoulders so I'm sure my grandma will love it just the same. I did change the border to a basic shell because I didn't like the way the original border looked.







The Curacao Shawl only took two skeins of yarn so I still had five left and I've had this yarn for so long, I just wanted to get rid of it. So I picked another pattern from the book - the Chrysanthemum Tea Shawl. Once again, this shawl turned out much smaller than it needed to be but it's much bigger than the Curacao Shawl and it does still fit over shoulders so not too big a deal. I had a lot of fun making this one and I really want to try it again with a better yarn and a bigger hook to see if I can't reach gauge.

Now about that "rarely" instead of "never" thing... the way this pattern says to join rounds was incredibly confusing to me for some reason. I did the middle section all the way to the base of the leaves and then realized I had two extra leaves so I frogged it all back and started over. This time I just joined rounds the way I usually did and all the numbers came out right, it just has a little bit of an odd swirl where the join is.

I know this would look better if I blocked it but I don't have a piece of cardboard big enough, I can't do it with just a towel, and I can't see convincing the others in the house to let me put pins all in the carpet. Besides, I have a two year old so nothing can sit around with pins for very long unless it can be put high out of reach. Nevertheless I'm sure my boyfriend's mom is going to enjoy it. Now to make sure I get it packed and mailed in time for Valentine's Day!







1 comment:

Laura said...

Love both the shawls!