Friday, March 13, 2009

Seraphina

I attempted the Seraphina Shawl a few months ago and was hopelessly confused. Even with the images to help I still couldn't get it for some reason. Then I stumbled across this thread at Crochetville and decided to give it another shot. Suddenly everything was clear and I was on my way to making one of the most beautiful shawl patterns I have ever seen. I love looking through the completed Seraphinas on Ravelry (Rav link) because there are so many beautiful colors and patterns of pooling.

I'm making mine with some Jo-Ann Sensations Rainbow Boucle Patterns yarn (what a long name) in pink, grey, and black with a size N hook. For the first five rows or so I absolutely hated this yarn. I don't know why I bought it. I have just always preferred a smooth yarn, I hate working with things like this and Red Heart Kooky because you have a little tiny thread and you're going along and then the yarn just pukes up a hairball that you have to work around. Not so much with the boucle but you know what I mean. I don't know, it's probably my ocpd.

But after a while I did get used to this boucle and got going pretty fast. I still don't enjoy it per se but at least it's turning out nicely. I looked at this skein of boucle the size of my car and thought, I've got to figure out the Seraphina pattern because it would be perfect for that. And so far it is looking great. I'm getting some really cool stripey pooling.



I'm going to make this shawl really big and I'm doing it fairly loose, especially compared to my usual tension. I wanted it to be light and airy and really wanting to get rid of this blasted yarn is helping me remember to keep it loose. Use as much yarn as possible per stitch! I know I'll have some left over and I won't want to make anything else with it. Maybe I will gift it to someone.

No comments: