Sunday, April 5, 2009

What Is This Hill You Speak Of?

Well, this is it. I am officially 30 years old today. Time to break out the black balloons and novelty walking cane with mirror and horn. I really don't feel as bad about it as I thought I would. I've been 29 for a year and 28 for the year before that and I always just rounded up to 30 when thinking about myself and my goals in life anyway. I mean, what's the difference really between 29 and 31? Not much.

I think I have gone through more in the last three years than I have ever before in my life. Hell, I may have gone through more in the last three years than a lot of people will ever go through. There's been birth, there's been death, there's been stresses placed on careers, relationships, living situations. It has not been an easy three years, I will promise you that. But the important thing is that I have survived and I'm still hanging on, even if for no other reason than I belive I am owed some good to happen in my life and I'll be damned if I'm going to give up before I get it!

In all seriousness, the last six months have been very uplifting for me. It seems that things are finally turning around for me and I am positive about the future. I am welcoming 30 with open arms. When I think about this milestone, I am reminded of my mother who turned 28, then turned 29, then turned 28 again and continued to be 28 for the rest of her birthdays. Every year she would say she was 28 and no one would disagree. I wish she had the opportunity to fool us many more times. But because of her and how strong and beautiful and perfect she was, I am strong enough to face 30 with a smile on my face and be proud of what I have done and optimistic about my future. I am 30 years old today and my life is only beginning.

No comments: